What does happiness mean to you?

edited December 2021 in General

Is it a goal? A place to arrive at? Or is it a process?

Can you recognize it when you feel it? Or is it easier to remember rather than to recognize and experience in the moment?

Do you think that to appreciate happiness, you need moments where you have a lack of happiness? What is a good balance?

Would you want to live a life where you are happy most of the time? Is that even possible?

There are no right or wrong answers here, just open ended questions.

I personally think if I treat happiness as a destination, I will never get there. So the focus becomes cultivating awareness and acceptance of the present moment, as much as possible.

But a calm, stoic, awareness doesn't necessarily mean happiness, but it's distant cousin contentment.

Still, I think being in a continuous state of calm contentment isn't ideal either. It has to peppered with spikes of happiness and other emotions, even the ones that don't feel good.

Lastly, I think evolution has designed us to not be content. Evolution rewarded those of our ancestors who ventured out of the cave, and who were hyperaware of predators, and constantly planning for obtaining security (in the form of food and shelter).

So, contentment requires bypassing of the evolutionary neural rhythms; one way of doing that is through meditation. To train yourself to be aware of your feelings, thoughts and desires, observing them and acting upon them with careful consideration. I think that when you do that, you become something beyond the monkey mind evolution created.

A small fact that becomes apparent when you train yourself to arrive at contentment through meditation is that contentment is purely an internally generated state, regardless of what is happening outside of you. Even if your arm is on fire, you can choose to enter a content state. This realization is one of the most powerful things in the world, in my opinion.

Anyway, as the new year approaches, I wish everyone a little more awareness and cultivation of happiness. May you be happier then you were this past year.

Comments

• To me, happiness is enjoying life in your terms / surrounded by love / doing for others & sharing laughs & smiles.

• "What does happiness mean to you?"

That's probably deeper than the Midnight Zone or the Hadal Zone.

Initially ice cream came to mind, so it looked something like occasionally falling for the ice cream truck and getting a mixed ice cream. Enjoying it, than probably beating myself up about how I fell for sugar for like the thousandth time.

As I thought more about it, it looks more like having good health, financial freedom and loved ones.

"Is it a goal? A place to arrive at? Or is it a process?"

It's sometimes a goal and sometimes a process I suppose.

There are times that I do things, such as helping someone, that end up making me happy. Or do things that I ~know will make me happy, such as making a meal I really like. And sometimes things randomly happen that do just that.

"Can you recognize it when you feel it?"

Yes.

Do you think that to appreciate happiness, you need moments where you have a lack of happiness?

No, at least not by much and especially not irreversible damage or great suffering.

"What is a good balance?"

A world where I can forever feel happy, I'd like to experience such a world for a change.

"Would you want to live a life where you are happy most of the time?"

Of course.

"Is that even possible?"

Maybe not, though never say never?

• Trying to feel content seems better than the chase for ultimate happiness. It’s a struggle to feel content, but the effort to feel content allows expectations not to be the enemy of happiness.

• "Anyway, as the new year approaches, I wish everyone a little more awareness and cultivation of happiness. May you be happier then you were this past year."

Wish y'all the same too! :)

• edited December 2021

Happiness is paddling a canoe down a small stream, a placid lake, or a raging rapid.

Happiness is finding a grizzly bear feeding in a berry patch, letting him know were there, and then getting close enough to get a good photo, without disturbing him.

Happiness is watching the sun set.

Happiness is seeing more species of birds in a day, that I loose track of how many.

Happiness is watching two fawns playing in the woods.

Happiness is parking my RV in a remote spot in the mountains, and spending a week enjoying our privacy.

Happiness is sharing any of these things with someone I love,

• Happiness is no junk phone calls, no bills to pay and no medical appointments.

• Happiness is dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins.

I'm fond of dopamine, personally. That's probably my favorite—though serotonin's up there too, oxytocin's nice, and I do miss endorphins when I don't have them (particularly when my joints start playing up).

Don't think I'd want endorphins or oxytocin all the time, but I can pretty much never get too much dopamine or serotonin.

• Happiness to me is freedom. Free to be who you are without judgement. Free to express yourself without fear. Free to be what you were meant or created to be.

• What a beautiful thread! I love all of the different and varied answers. Doing the things that speak to YOUR soul seems to be a theme.

@Lovelight ICE CREAM TRUCKS!!! 🤣💗
    @GreatHornedOwl with all of the beauty seen in nature. Tranquility.
    Peace and freedom to be our authentic selves without judgement!! I love this!!!

It really resonated when OP said maybe the focus could be more about

cultivating awareness and acceptance of the present moment, as much as possible.

Being present.... It takes work for me. Even inside the world of cuddles.... Its problematic me if I get caught up in "When is the next time I can see you?" Or "How long until this fabulous moment ends?" I wind up missing some of the feel good stuff. Instead.... I try and just revel in the exact moment that I am in. Just completely and utterly being PRESENT. It's difficult, but I feel like its very rewarding. Then like @DaringSprinter said all of those beautiful chemicals flow!!!

• I had a five-year stretch of my life, from 2003-2008, where pretty much everything seemed to go right. Since then, not so much, but at least I know it is possible to live that way.

• For me, waking up on the top side of the grass, and good health with loving family and friends and checking my calendar and seeing I have a cuddle date for that evening for a cuddle. What else can a person ask for, LOL

• Totally agree with blisscuddles. But a few things that put me in a fantastic mood are a good bottle of wine, good food, a great massage and a long session with my favorite cuddler.

• This 👆
    Happiness to me is the little things in life, and the connection with others. 💜

• Happiness is a warm puppy

• At this point I don’t need anything special to be happy I just need nothing to go seriously wrong. Like one really boring month where everything just happens the way it’s supposed to and there are no setbacks or major disappointments would be great.

• @xandriarain reminds me of the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times".

I too, welcome boring.

• To me happiness is doing something that makes you feel good inside. Whether it is achieving a goal, watching a movie you've benn wanting to watch, spending time with someone you care about, helping someone, etc. And I can usually accomplish at least one of those things a day. If a day is going bad then I gotta work harder on doing more from that list until the good outweighs the bad to be happy again. I'm currently just happy trying to plan a project that I have been wanting to do for like 6 months. So getting closer to accomplishing it makes me happy.

• To echo @sillysassy and @Mela_B

Being present with this moment's pleasure, and connecting with others in a meaningful way.

Life has shown me that my sense of well-being stems largely from where I choose to place my thoughts. I believe that happiness is a result of gratitude, and not the other way around.

• @JoyfulHeart, exactly! Happiness is a result of gratitude. I firmly believe that.

• [Deleted User]Saysoh (deleted user)

For me, happiness is learning, progressing, challenge and being grateful. I don't think there's a goal. Buying a house means buying a better house later. Buying a new car means buying a better car later. For me, happiness is getting a hug from a friend you haven't seen for a minute knowing they trust you. My happineness is the relationships I have with my people.

• Pizza, @DaringSprinter, and schadenfreude. Making others uncomfortable is nice, too.

Note: I'm not what most would consider a "happy person". I am not troubled by that in the slightest.

• [Deleted User]atmosphere114 (deleted user)

“Nothing to do, nowhere to go.”

• @HogboblinZwei are you joking about "schadenfreude" (deriving pleasure from the misfortune of others)?

If not, doesn't that lead to predatory and malicious behavior towards other people?

• @MCcuddles2: I suggest you read the Wikipedia page on schadenfreude... and perhaps also consider the difference between enjoying a thing and being willing to create it.

Schadenfreude is not sadism.

• edited January 2022

Word games.

Humans move towards what they enjoy. I enjoy chocolate, so I create or buy things with chocolate.

If someone enjoys the misfortune of other, they will either consciously or subconsciously more towards things that create that misfortune.

This is a simple fact of human behavior and cannot be changed with word games.

Also, I was speaking to @HogboblinZwei .

I'm sure he is capable of answering for himself, but thanks for the input.

• @MCcuddles2

Yeah, it totally does. Terrible things happening to storm chasers amuses me greatly. So, as a result of that, I am becoming a meteorological event.

• @MCcuddles2: Ah. You didn't read the article. If you had, you'd've hit this line straight off.

Schadenfreude has been detected in children as young as 24 months and may be an important social emotion establishing "inequity aversion".

If someone experiences schadenfreude, indeed.

• And then there's sigmundfreude, but that's different.

• [Deleted User]Moxytocin (deleted user)

Happiness is solitude, a long hot bath, a good book, and chocolate.